Go to homepageUncovering the common past of the countries around the Baltic Sea in the years 1450-1800

Advanced search

Limited Partnership A.G. Sengbusch & Co Cork Factory

Repository

Latvijas Valsts vēstures arhīvs
Latvia State Historical Archives
Riga, Latvia
www.arhivi.lv/engl/en-dep-lvva.htm

Record group

Limited Partnership A.G. Sengbusch & Co Cork Factory
Komanditsabiedrības A.G. Zengbušs un Ko korķu fabrika
Reference code : 3665
Period : 1739–1898
Extent : 283 files

Abstract

The records comprise bookkeeping and accounting documents, correspondence with business partners and other documents of the Sengbusch family company and cork factory in Riga.

Relevant contents

Period : 1739 - 1807
Countries involved : Denmark, Estonia, Germany, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Russia, Sweden, The Netherlands, Various countries
Languages : Dutch, High German, Various languages

Relevant papers conisist of more than fifty volumes containing various bookkeeping documents and letters exchanged with partners in Amsterdam, Lübeck, Gothenborg, Stockholm, Danzig, Pärnu, etc.. The records document the entire range of of business activities of the merchant house and contain data on trade networks, routes, volumes, transaction costs, exchange of information, cargos, etc.

The book series do not cover the entire period; especially the 1740s and 1750s are not fully represented. Records from the 1740s to 1760s pertain to the companies of "Vethaacke & Krupp" and "Kruse & Senbusch".

Accessibility

Two inventories (in Latvian) (1953, 1958); inventory no. 1 lists only groups of records instead of single items.

Record creator / provenance

The Sengbusch family moved from Mecklenburg to Riga in the beginning of the eighteenth century and got involved in dressmaking. In 1751 Alexander Gottschalk Sengbusch (1738-1800) became an apprentice of the timber merchants A. Gothan, Ladendorff and Vethaacke & Krupp. As an apprentice and companion, he travelled to Lithuania, Denmark and Germany. In 1762 he became a companion of the merchant Sebastian Heinrich Kruse, and from 1769 onward he was the sole owner of the company. In 1783 and from 1792 to 1794, he functioned as alderman of the Great Guild, from 1790 to 1796 as head of the town administration, and in 1796 as the town mayor. In that same year he was admitted to the nobility (römicher Reichsadel).

The heirs and owners of the A.G. Sengbusch company were Conrad Sengbusch (1768-1849), Wilhelm von Sengbusch (1802-1880; he also served as consul general of Sweden and Norway in Riga), and Carl Gustav von Sengbusch (1843-1924). The company was engaged in large-scale trade (being one of the fifteen largest export firms in Riga). In the second half of the nineteenth century it turned to the cork manufacturing.

Publications

 


www.hicetnunc.nl